PRESS RELEASE No 02/2019
PDF version (241.43 KB)
The European Anti-Fraud Office (OLAF) took part in operations led by the Romanian National Anti-Corruption Directorate (DNA) between 3 and 8 April in Romania in a case of suspected misuse of EU funds.
The operations involved searches of several commercial premises and private homes, as well as interviews with suspects and witnesses. As a result, Romanian prosecutors ordered judicial control measures concerning three defendants as well as the start of criminal action against a company.
The allegations at stake relate to possible large-scale corruption and fraud involving EU funds for infrastructure investments related to the rehabilitation of the Bucharest-Constanta railway section. It is suspected that a kick-back scheme amounting to over 2 million euro was put in place and that public officials requested an illegal commission in exchange for unblocking payments for the works that were due by the public administration. The kick-back scheme was allegedly orchestrated by an organised criminal group using corruption, influence peddling and money laundering.
Eurojust funded the operational activities of the Joint Investigative Team. For further details on the operations, please see the DNA press release.
OLAF’s mission is to detect, investigate and stop fraud with EU funds.
• carrying out independent investigations into fraud and corruption involving EU funds, so as to ensure that all EU taxpayers’ money reaches projects that can create jobs and growth in Europe;
• contributing to strengthening citizens’ trust in the EU Institutions by investigating serious misconduct by EU staff and members of the EU Institutions;
• developing a sound EU anti-fraud policy.
• all EU expenditure: the main spending categories are Structural Funds, agricultural policy and rural development funds, direct expenditure and external aid;
• some areas of EU revenue, mainly customs duties;
• suspicions of serious misconduct by EU staff and members of the EU institutions.
For further details:
(Headline image: iStock.com/Ari Nousiainen.)
- Publikācijas datums
- 9 aprīlis 2019
- Eiropas Birojs krāpšanas apkarošanai
- News type
- OLAF press release