The Agreement expired in July 2016.
Anti-Contraband and Anti-Counterfeit Agreement+ appendixes:
A B C D E F G H I J K
The PMI Agreement made an important contribution to fight PMI illicit trade in the past and helped bring an end to all past disputes between the parties - the European Commission, ten Member States of the European Union and Philip Morris International - relating to this issue.
However, the market and legislative framework has changed significantly since the entry into force of the Agreement. Illicit tobacco trade is a global problem which requires cooperation on a worldwide scale.
The European Commission has concluded that there is no need to prolong the Anti-Contraband and Anti-Counterfeit agreement between Philip Morris International (PMI), the Commission and EU Member States, after it expires on 9 July 2016.
The Commission considers that the combination of the Tobacco Products Directive and the Protocol to Eliminate Illicit Trade in Tobacco Products negotiated in the context of the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) are the best instruments to fight illicit trade by regulatory means going forward.
- Summary of the Agreement
- Background: Legal action by the European Commission against cigarette smuggling
- pr_en.pdfof the Commission
- Speech of Commissioner Michaele Schreyer
- Technical assessment of the experience made with the Anti-Contraband and Anti-Counterfeit Agreement and General Release of 9 July 2004 among Philip Morris International and affiliates, the Union and its Member States
- Vice-President Georgieva's statement of 6 July 2016 on the expiry of the PMI Agreement
Background information - about cigarettes seizures - from:
- Budget 2005 : damages to the European budget of over 3.1 million were prevented..., Ministry of Interior
- International cooperation with Bulgarian national service for combating organised crime..., Bulgarian National Service for Combating Organized Crime (NSCOC)
- "908 master boxes of fake “Benson & Hedges” cigarettes were destroyed today", Ministry of Interior
- Cigarettes smuggling statistics (1996/1998 2002)
- Sicherstellungen durch die Zollverwaltung (1998 2003)
- "Cigarettes smuggling" - Press release from Customs in Köln
- "Cigarettes smuggling : the situation in Germany", ZollKriminalamt (ZKA)
- "Die Zigaretten-Mafia greift an" - Bild am Sonntag, 2902.2004
- Statement of the seizures for 2003 and the beginning of 2004, published by the Customs (Agencia delle Dogane)
- Statement of the seizures
- Annual performance report, published by the Special Investigation Service of the Republic of Lithuania
Slovac Republic :