What are joint customs operations?
The customs authorities of EU countries as well as some non-EU countries, in cooperation with OLAF, carry out regular joint customs operations with specific checks at European level. These operations are coordinated and targeted actions of a limited duration with the aim of combating the smuggling of sensitive goods and fraud in certain risky areas and/or on identified trade routes.
OLAF provides the necessary support for the relevant countries to conduct coordinated actions by means of its:
- permanent technical infrastructure, IT and communications tools
- strategic analysis, administrative and financial support
Results of the operations
These operations help to:
- improve the effectiveness of customs services in conducting targeted checks at European level.
- identify where the risks lie on specific trade routes.
- protect the citizens and legitimate businesses by preventing illegal products from entering the EU
- safeguard EU public finances.